WORKING WITH TRAUMA & PTSD TRAUMA 1: UNDERSTANDING AND RESPONDING TO PTSD
Working with Trauma and PTSD 1
The price of this course is £220. We are offering an early bird discount until end 5 May which brings the cost down to £176.
Who is this course for?
Trauma 1 is a 2 day course is suitable for qualified and student counsellors, psychotherapists and related professionals such as social workers and family support workers. We advise participants to have appropriate supervision or support in place for the duration of the programme. (This is a non-accredited programme that will deepen the understanding of trauma and its impact and develop further skills in working with people affected by trauma and PTSD.)
Aims and Outcomes
Day 1 - Understanding PTSD
- Understand the historical context for PTSD
- Have an overview of different psychological models for understanding PTSD
- Be aware of current definition of PTSD by NICE
- Understand the psychological, physical and neurological processes associated with PTSD
Day 2 - Responding to PTSD presentations
- Learn how to respond therapeutically to trauma presentations through incorporating a phased approach framework
- Be aware of the importance of timing of different responses including ‘psychological first aid’
- Working with the Window of Tolerance – hyper and hypo-aroused client presentations, including dissociation
- Importance of building awareness of safety in trauma therapy and understand indicators of the concepts of ‘trauma recovery’ and ‘trauma resolution’.
Penny Bullock, MSc (Psychological Trauma), MProf Studies (Psychological Trauma), BSc., Post-grad. Cert. in Supervision, PGCE. MBACP(Snr. Accred.)
Penny has worked as a counsellor, both privately and within the NHS for over twenty years, with adults and young people. She currently specialises in trauma work and has an interest in research. Penny has been a clinical supervisor for 15 years and has delivered training to a wide range of professionals.
Dates, times, venue and CPD
Dates: Tuesday 4 and Wednesday 5 June 2024
Time: 10:00am to 4.00pm
Venue: The Counselling & Family Centre, 40 Mayors Road, Altrincham, WA15 9RP
CPD: 12 hours
For more information on our courses, including making a booking or cancellation, please see course information.